APPROVED VS PROPOSED
Approved Development (SLESSOR SQUARE)
The approved development "Slessor Square" consisted of two towers 19sty (north west) and 21 sty (south west) corners, creating a retail edge/ street wall along Yonge St. To the east of the site lie an 8 sty/ 9 sty residential slab building. The site is bisected east to west by a proposed public driveway connecting Yonge St. to George St. A pedestrian pathway divides the site into 4 quadrants. All above grade buildings are constructed over a proposed 4 level underground parking garbage.
Proposed Development (REDWOOD ON YONGE)
The development team at Redwood properties, through analysis and study had a different approach to the massing and character of the building, we further considered multiple factors, such as:
- Site conditions (High Water Table), Parking Podium and Garden Amenity above.
- Proximity of surrounding commercial and residential areas.
- Better dovetailing into future Regional road improvement along Yonge St.
- Ideal pedestrian pathways through the site.
- Street Edges and relationship with adjacent Commercial and Residential buildings (ie. 2 sty townhouses with small yards.
- Improving the Angular Plane along George St. edge facing single family homes.
- Improved views between residential towers.
The below diagram illustrates the step-by-step considerations our team made in the evolution of the massing from "Slessor Square" to "Redwood on Yonge".
Massing/ Density/ Character
As you can see, the size and density has not changed from the original approved development. We carefully and intentionally redistributed the building's mass to where it needed to be, to enhance and contribute to character of the neighbourhood.
We provided "Solutions by Design", to help truly create a "HUB" for the community, connecting commercial and resident spaces. Strategically providing landscaped parks and plazas to make the site walk-able, and providing retail edges in logical locations in attract business, while maximizing privacy to residence.